What abound URL rewriting and everything else sh404sef does? How does that work?
4SEO does nothing in that field. That was kind of the point, to separate SEO features from URLs management, so that:
- 4SEO can work with Joomla SEF or any SEF extension, including sh404SEF or any other one. It just does not care about SEF URLs.
- we could had modern SEO features that are important today but were hard to had to sh404SEF: structured data generation is the most important but also as you said, sitemap, replacer, meta data management on frontend, etc
The user interface also is modern and does not require any page reload anymore.
Here is the global picture:
- sh404SEF does SEF URLs, 4SEO does nothing with URL construction and management (it has redirections and canonical, a lot)
- It means you can use 4SEO with sh404SEF for SEF URLs, but also with JoomSEF or another SEF extension, or directly with Joomla SEF URLs.
- sh404SEF has few SEO features, 4SEO is only SEO
- you can use both together on Joomla 3
- 4SEO runs on Joomla 3 and 4
- sh404SEF will only run on Joomla 3
- when Joomla 4 is stable, we will have a small Joomla 3&4 extension, called 4SEF, that will take over the URL management part of sh404SEF, and provide a transparent migration from Joomla 3 to Joomla 4 for SEF URLs and custom meta data.
So there's a bit of overlap, but 4SEO is SEO for 2021. It does away with most of the extra baggage accumulated by sh404SEF but adds SEO features lacking in sh404SEF, those that matters today:
- structured data generation
- sitemap with only relevant URLs
- redirection engine, canonical rules
- content replacement (auto linking for instance)
- several other tools needed for SEO (analytics snippets, custom code insertion, put some pages offline)
- work on the frontend
and of course 4SEO has a much better user interface.
In addition, I'd like to mention that sh404SEF will be supported (on Joomla 3) for as long as Joomla 3 is relevant. Joomla 3 will be supported by the Joomla project officially for 2 years after Joomla 4 is released, but I know people will keep using it for more than that so I will support sh404SEF at least another year after that, and maybe more depending on demand.
weeblr.com / @weeblr