Last post 6 hours 17 min ago
Posts last week 89
Average response time last week 30 min
All time posts 67645
All time tickets 10455
All time avg. posts per day 21

Helpdesk is open from Monday through Friday CET

Please create an (free) account to post any question in the support area.
Please check the development versions area. Look at the changelog, maybe your specific problem has been resolved already!
All tickets are private and they cannot be viewed by anyone. We have made public only a few tickets that we found helpful, after removing private information from them.

#6603 – The Use of sh404SEF

Posted in ‘Pre-sale questions’
This is a public ticket. Everybody will be able to see its contents. Do not include usernames, passwords or any other sensitive information.
Monday, 28 October 2019 03:40 UTC
kiwilefty
I would like to know if sh404SEF will be suitable for a website change I am looking to implement.

Currently the website is www.nzelectricalgolf.co.nz, I am rebuilding the site and when completed the same domain name will be transferred to the new build.

What I need to do is create redirects to the new site that will allow me to not lose the search engine advantages the old site pages have obtained.

For Example:
On my old site the following page - https://nzelectricalgolf.co.nz/news-and-results/middle-districts-2019.html

I have rebuilt this page and it will have a new URL as follows:

https://nzelectricalgolf.co.nz/index.php/results/107-results-2019/314-middle-districts-friday-17th-may-2019

So for many pages I would like search engines to find the new page via the old URL.

Can this be achieved using sh404SEF?

Thank you in advance
Brian

Monday, 28 October 2019 08:11 UTC
wb_weeblr
Hi

The first thing is: this is a rather surprising change: you are going from a very good URL structure ("/news-and-results/middle-districts-2019.html") to a fairly bad one:"/107-results-2019/314-middle-districts-friday-17th-may-2019"

If you are redoing the site, I would strongly advise:

1 - do not include /index.php/ in your URLs. That's a one line change in your .htaccess and one setting in Joomla. In 2019, just do not do that.
2 - You now use item ids in the URLs (ie 107-results-2019 instead of just results-2019). That's also not very good. Not so much for SEO but mostly for practical reasons: when you move/redo your site again, your content will have different ids and it's next to impossible to do redirects because of that.

Now about your question:

1 - The "problem" will not be the same with sh404SEF because sh404SEF will likely NOT create URLs such as /results/107-results-2019/314-middle-districts-friday-17th-may-2019. It can be set to include ids but it normally does not. Also, it will not use menu items to create URLs, as you may do, but URLs will only be created based on categories and item titles.

2 - As for the redirect, we do have a strong redirect engine so you can certainly redirect any URL you want to a new one. You can set these redirect one by one (ie tell sh404SEF to redirect /news-and-results/middle-districts-2019.html to /results/107-results-2019/314-middle-districts-friday-17th-may-2019) or you may be able to creat redirect "rules" where many redirects are done with just one command.

I doubt however you can use "rules" as the article titles are different and you included item ids in URLs. But you certainly can do those redirects manually in sh404SEF.

Best regards

This ticket is closed, therefore read-only. You can no longer reply to it. If you need to provide more information, please open a new ticket and mention this ticket's number.