Last post 6 hours 32 min ago
Posts last week 110
Average response time last week 29 min
All time posts 67419
All time tickets 10424
All time avg. posts per day 21

Helpdesk is open from Monday through Friday CET

Please create an (free) account to post any question in the support area.
Please check the development versions area. Look at the changelog, maybe your specific problem has been resolved already!
All tickets are private and they cannot be viewed by anyone. We have made public only a few tickets that we found helpful, after removing private information from them.

#6140 – is posible to create a sitemap with 404sef?

Posted in ‘Pre-sale questions’
This is a public ticket. Everybody will be able to see its contents. Do not include usernames, passwords or any other sensitive information.
Wednesday, 27 May 2015 01:36 UTC
[email protected]
Hi is there a way to generate a sitemap xml and html directly from 404sef? without using any other plugin?
Wednesday, 27 May 2015 09:53 UTC
wb_weeblr
Hi

This is not possible at the moment, though building an XML sitemap is in the work and will be added in the near future (near like a few months, not a few days).

Rgds

Saturday, 07 January 2017 15:21 UTC
phil-kingfisher-design
Did this get done? I'm interested in your sh404sef solution however the only thing I see missing is a sitemap (or not mentioned).

Many thanks

Tuesday, 10 January 2017 09:11 UTC
wb_weeblr
Hi

Nope, this was not done, AMP got in the way, as it is vastly more important than sitemap for SEO ;)

I did some work on it though, but I'm not really happy with the process of selecting pages that should be included in the sitemap. Most extensions simply try to include all URLs, or a large number of URLs, which basically renders the sitemap useless, but making the selection process efficient and simple is actually not that easy (besides simply having a check box next to each URL, which is trivial but not useful).
I do hope we can achieve something useful during 2017!

Rgds

Thursday, 12 January 2017 20:51 UTC
christiaan
Me too ! :-)
Tuesday, 03 October 2017 14:44 UTC
colori
I agree. It would be nice if sh404SEF, which is an SEO tool, generates a sitemap.

Is it still planned for 2017 ?

Thank you.
Philippe
Tuesday, 03 October 2017 14:51 UTC
wb_weeblr
Hi

It's not impossible that it happens in 2017!

Rgds

Tuesday, 03 October 2017 14:58 UTC
colori
Oh great !!
Excellent news :)

Thanks for the reactivity of your support.

Philippe
Wednesday, 07 February 2018 13:15 UTC
christiaan
Would still be a great feature with little competion in the market, definitly a sales booster etc :-)
Friday, 09 February 2018 15:05 UTC
colori
Yes I agree with you Christiaan. A sitemap generator directly based on urls referenced in sh404SEF. A must-have tool.
Coming soon Weeblr ?

Thank you
Philippe
Friday, 09 February 2018 18:47 UTC
wb_weeblr
Hi

A sitemap generator directly based on urls referenced in sh404SEF.
Still the same problem: such a sitemap would be strictly useless. OK, sitemaps are useless on most sites, but that's still not a reason to create wrong ones if I decide to go that route.

The issue is still the same: how do you easily select the URLs you WANT in the sitemap. Many sitemap extensions just list all URLs they can find for all components - which is not good. The most sophisticated ones have "drivers" for many components that can extract only some URLs (ie only list categories and product details pages for Virtuemart but not add to cart, account details, categories listing with different ordering, etc). I'm not even sure they remove things like sold out products for instance.
The simplest ones just list menu items! Most of these links are already crawlable. They don't really need to be in a sitemap, unless your site has tens of thousands of pages and you want to show preference for some URLs over others (see this talk about how sitemap+Search console can be used for that).

That's why we do not use sitemap on our sites for instance. We did submit a sitemap at launch (created with an online tool, not an extension) but that's it. If I were to change many URLs, I would also submit a siteamp. Or if Google stopped crawling pages we want them to crawl for instance.

Eventually I may end up doing a simple, dump-all solution, just to stop hearing about it :)

Rgds

Saturday, 10 February 2018 11:26 UTC
colori
Thank you for your feedback.

Philippe
This ticket is closed, therefore read-only. You can no longer reply to it. If you need to provide more information, please open a new ticket and mention this ticket's number.